Tuesday, November 25, 2014

New Team, New Team Name, Even More Motivated!


Not giving up.

Last year I wanted to race the Air Race Classic, an all women air race. Unfortunately I wasn't able to realize it this year, but I decided to not give up. I contacted the awesome people that had donated to help me race and asked them if they would like their donation back, or if they would be willing to let me keep it in order to race in 2015. The responses were amazingly positive, and it gave my no choice but to try and race next year in  the Air Race Classic 2015!

The team members.

J.J. Shapiro
This time I partnered with J.J. Shapiro, Vice Chairwoman of the Bakersfield chapter of The Ninety-Nines Inc. International Organization of Women Pilots. In 2006, after expressing a desire to learn to fly, J.J.'s husband dared her that she would never complete ground school. This stay-at-home mother of three and grandmother, accepted the challenge and prevailed. Not only was J.J. the only woman to complete ground school, but she was one of three that went on to receive her private pilot license. J.J. is the only member of her ground school class of 20 that still flies today!
1941 Ercoupe, shiny!! 

J.J. has been a private pilot since 2007. As a pilot she has had countless flying adventures and accomplishments. Two months after receiving her "ticket" she discovered a lump in her breast and was later diagnosed with breast cancer. Cancer did not curb J.J.'s passion for life and aviation. During this trying time she received her tailwheel endorsement and did acrobatic training. For eight years, J.J. has flown various aircraft and has accumulated over 800 hours. She has flown in Hawaii, soared over the Golden Gate Bridge, been a pilot for organ transport flights, and has experienced low altitude flying as a pipeline observer. Her latest flying adventure is being the proud owner of a 1941 Ercoupe. Her airplane has been restored to mint condition and is a rare beauty that still flies in the skies today. When she's not at her hanger or flying high, this fabulous aviatrix is proud to spend time with her family and be called "Grandmama!"

Nancy Bradshaw
As for myself, my name is Nancy Bradshaw. I am also vice chair women for my 99s chapter, the Antelope Valley 99s. I earned my private pilot certificate on the 4th of July 2013, my instrument rating February 15th 2014 and I just recently earned my commercial certificate Single Engine Land October 22nd 2014. I have 270 flying hours at the moment and I'm currently working on my tailwheel endorsement. A few of my flying adventures include crossing the ocean to fly to Catalina Island, and mountain flying to Big Bear and Mammoth.

 When I'm not flying I work as a discipline engineer at Edwards Air Force Base. I work in the structures group in flight test of the F35 JSF Lightning II. It has been amazing to work in such an inspiring environment. In my first year on base, 2009, I saw the space shuttle land and it is just amazing to see the B2 bomber disappear on  the horizon when driving to work. In addition to being a pilot and engineer, I'm a proud momma of two fur-kids, my dogs Mojo and Dropje.

The team: Flying Dutchess & Soaring Eagle.

Flying Dutchess & Soaring Eagle
Together we form the team: "Flying Dutchess & Soaring Eagle". 
Our team name references to our backgrounds. I am Dutch, hence "Flying Dutchess". I moved to Southern California in august 2009 to work on the F35. "Soaring Eagle" refers to J.J.'s native American heritage. We are both proud of our backgrounds and wanted the team name to reflect that. It just so happens that it makes for a really cool team name!

The Race.

The Air Race Classic is the epicenter of women's air racing. Pilots range in age from 17 to 90 years and come from a wide variety of backgrounds. Race teams, consisting of at least two women pilots, must fly VFR during daylight hours only and are given four days to make flybys at each en route timing point and then land at the terminus. The race route is about 2,100 miles in length.
Air Race Classic Route 2015 
Each plane is flown in race configuration to determine it's handicap speed - and the challenge for each  race team is to achieve actual ground speeds as far over the handicap speed as possible. The pilots strategize to play the elements, holding out for better weather, winds, etc. it is all about flying the perfect cross country. The last arrival at the terminus could be the winner!
To find more information on the race visit the website: http://airraceclassic.org


Starting the adventure, follow us!

We are more determined than ever to make this adventure happen. We have a whole lot of drive, motivation and determination. We still need to gather part of the funds to race and we are in need of an airplane. Unfortunately the Ercoupe doesn't have the required amount of horse power to compete. At this point we are exploring the options of renting and aircraft, looking for sponsors and means of fund raising. 
We will document our journey during, and leading up to the race in the various means of social media. Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter, and we will keep you up to date with our progress on our blog. 

Thanks for reading our blog and stay tuned, Blue Skies!

~ Flying Dutchess & Soaring Eagle






No comments:

Post a Comment