Wednesday, June 17, 2015

I made it to the start & New race partner part 1

I made it! I made it! I made it! I made it! I made it!
I'm so exited that I did. I never thought that I would be able to say this, but I flew across the country by myself.

By myself, never alone

 I'm a lucky girl, even though I was by myself in the cockpit I was never alone. So many awesome people that were coaching me through this part of the adventure. Biggest thanks go to my mother-bird coach who was able to calm me down after I learned that I was going to have to continue by myself. She was able to talk me through the next steps that needed to happen 1) wait out the weather 2) make a flight plan based on the weather 3) find a new copilot. In addition she went over the weather with me while she was still flight planning to fly out here herself. It was just amazing.
More pilot friends were keeping an eye on me, and sending texts and calling with very good advise. Especially about evaluating my personal minimums, and then keeping myself to them.
My fellow racers and the race committee were an awesome support system. Helping me with finding a new co-pilot and giving me encouragement throughout the cross country.
ATC was very helpful in getting me across the country safely. Keeping me posted on where the bigger cells were located based on pilot reports. And every single time I requested a deviation from my IFR course to go around buildups or get out of bad turbulence, there were no questions asked and I could do it or there would be other solutions like a different altitude. Two controllers were actually keeping me company at different times, just chatting a little bit about the bad weather hahaha. I learned to value of getting flight following, especially when you are by yourself. And I called the flight service station before taking off on every leg, to get an extra pair of eyes evaluating the weather. All the people I talked to were super helpful, my faith in humanity is definitely restored!!

New co-pilot!

Not only am I fortunate to have been able to make it to the start, with pretty harsh weather conditions. I also am super lucky to have found a new race partner in this super short notice. Anita Mixon from West Palm Florida will be joining me in the Air Race Classic. We will be able to fly the race, but probably will have to be in the non-competition part of the race. In order to fly competition we need to refly the handicap flight because of the different weight of the co-pilot. The question is if we can still do that in time for the race kick off. But, even if we can't make it in the competition class we will still fly non-competition. The experience of being in this race will still be worth it!

~Flying Dutchess



3 comments:

  1. YEAH !!!!!!! Gefeliciteerd! Wat een goed nieuws! Ben zo blij voor je!!

    Ik hoop dat de handicap vlucht lukt en anders ...... je doet gewoon mee! Hoe tof is dat!

    Vanuit een nat en minder warm kikkerlandje moedig ik je aan.

    Groetjes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! An inspiring accomplishment. Have fun at the race and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Volgens mij zag ik je net op FB op een foto van de SE Section 99s Air Racers staan. Klopt hè?! Ik heb mijn lenzen niet in .......

    Succes!!! Laat ze maar eens een poepje ruiken ......

    ReplyDelete